The overall objective of biological oceanography is to study the temporal and spatial distributions of populations of marine organisms and their interaction with each other and with their environment. The work is predominantly ecological, productivity at different tropic levels is studied in order to provide basic information required to understand the marine living resources.
In broad perspective of objectives the emphasis is being given to Fisheries Biology, Marine Ecology and Aquaculture. For direct underwater observation and study of organisms NIO has modern equipments.
The main research areas are;
1) Spatial and temporal changes in the distribution and breeding patterns of marine organisms in the coastal and deep waters of Pakistan.
2) Primary productivity in the coastal waters.
3) Food web and Mangrove ecosystem studies in the nearshore coastal environment.
4) Ecological problems created due to industrial and recreational activities.
5) Rearing techniques for the production of indigenous and priced species of shrimp and fishes for development of aquaculture.
6) Inventory and evaluation of living resources.
Area of interest: Aquaculture, Shrimp & Fish
Area of interest: Fisheries/Biological Oceanography, Zooplankton ocean ecology, Biological-Physical interactions, Coastal-Marine bio-diversity
Area of interest: Biology and Ecology of marine animals, Zooplankton, Benthos.
Area of interest: Taxonomy of marine micro & Macroscopic plants, Ecological associations, Toxicology of harmful algal bloom and phamacological activities of macro and microscopic plants.
Area of interest: Aquaculture, Hatchery Technique, Nursery & Pond Management, Formula Feed Formulation & Production for Fish & Shrimp Aquaculture,
Area of interest: Shrimp Aquaculture and Integrated Multi-trophic Aqualculture (IMTA) Water Quality, Nutrient & dissolved Organic Matter in Marine Environmental study.
Area of interest: Shrimp hatchery and growout farming technology, marine biology and oceanograghy, algal and artemia culture , crustacean diseases.
Area of interest: Marine Microbiology Disease Management in shrimp aquaculture.